Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Rainy Paris

We had our second long weekend of our trip here November 10-14th.  The school planned a trip to Paris, so a group of us signed up for that trip - the first school trip we have done since London the first weekend here.  The only thing I disliked about Paris was that it rained the entire weekend.  Other than that, it was really fun.  We stayed at a nice hotel that had a free breakfast, so we took advantage of that every morning.  We didn't get there until late Wednesday night after taking a train to London and the Chunnel to Paris.  After settling into our hotel, we walked around the area and got some dinner at a small sandwich stand. 


Thursday morning we got up early for our first day in Paris.  It was a bummer to wake up to rain, but we still trucked out and enjoyed the streets of Paris.  We did some shopping first as we made our way to the Louvre.  By the time we got there, three out of six umbrellas had been ruined by the wind and I was pretty miserable.  We got into the Louvre for free because we are students, so that was nice.  We spent a couple hours looking around, although we could have spent all day - the place was huge!  On our way home from the Louvre, we stopped at the local grocery store and got some food and wine.  We ate some food and some of us took naps, while others scoped out the area around the hotel a little more.  At night, we decided to take our bottles of wine to the Eiffel Tower with us and watch the light show.  It was gorgeous, and I absolutely loved it, we could have spent all night there.  I had to rush home that night to have a skype meeting with the group I am going to China with in May. 



(Side note:  For those of you who don't know, I was chosen for a student-faculty research project on ethics and information technology in China.  We leave at the end of May and are gone for about 3 weeks.  We are still working on funding for the trip, but hopefully with the grant, all costs will be paid for - even airfare.  It seems like a great opportunity, and I just couldn't turn it down.  Funny how I'm not even home yet and I'm already planning my next trip.  I am one lucky girl.)


Back to Paris - Friday we did some more shopping in the morning, I got a new jacket and some souvenirs.  Then we went to the Notre Dame, which was gorgeous.  After the Notre Dame, we headed to Galleries LaFayette to see a free fashion show.  They put one on every Friday, and you have to e-mail them to reserve your spot, which we had done earlier in the week.  Once we got there, we couldn't find where we needed to be and finally a worker told us that they have fashion shows "every friday, but not today."  So we were a little disappointed, but we were able to go out onto the 8th floor terrace and look over the whole city for free, so that made up for no fashion show.  That night all the other girls got "Paris haircuts" and they all looked really cute!  We decided to meet up with the rest of the guys and go out for the night.  We all got our own cheap bottle of wine again and just walked the streets by our hotel.  Eventually Veronica, Candace and I got into a club called Cafe Oz where we hung out until 4:00 AM.  It was a really fun night, but we definitely didn't get enough sleep.


Saturday we woke up early for breakfast and decided to walk down the Champ Elysee and see the Arch de Triumph.  Along the way we stopped in Louis Vuitton and a bunch of car dealerships that were displaying their latest and greatest.  After that, we hit up Montmarte and climbed up to the Sacre-Coeur Basilica (the famous white church).  Both the church and the view from the top of the hill were absolutely gorgeous, it was only a bummer that it was rainy and extremely windy, so we couldn't enjoy it for a very long before we were searching for shelter.  After that we walked down to the Moulin Rouge and took some pictures of the outside.  We were all pretty tired from the day, so we went home and napped for a while.  Some girls went out for the night, but most of us just stayed in and hung out in our dry and warm hotel rooms.

Sunday morning we looked through some souvenir shops and made sure to get some crepes, as they seemed to be all over Paris.  We left Paris at 1:00 PM and made it back to the castle by 6:00 PM.  Overall it was an amazing trip and just makes me want to go back when the weather is better - I feel like I have so much more to see there.

The weekend of November 19th we just had a weekend at the manor.  Candace and I went out with our British meet a family for Jen's birthday on Friday (which happened to be my REAL mom's birthday too. Happy Birthday Mom!!)  Then on Saturday, Candace and I went to York with the family to do some shopping and sightseeing.  We had a great day away from the manor.  Saturday night we had a costume ball at the manor, a Halloween in November, which was really fun.  We dressed up as pageant girls and had a blast eating good food (for once) and dancing the night away.  We leave tomorrow for Greece and we will be there for five days and I can't wait for some nice warm weather right off the ocean.


Less than a month before I come home and I can't wait to see you all!! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I wanted to drop you a quick observe to precise my thanks.

    Ive been following your blog for a month or so and have picked up a ton
    of fine info and enjoyed the tactic youve structured your site.
    I am making an attempt to run my very personal weblog nonetheless I feel its too normal
    and I must concentrate on a lot of smaller topics.
    Being all things to all of us just isn't all that its cracked as much as be

    Feel free to surf to my weblog: having trouble getting pregnant with second baby

    ReplyDelete